Thursday, September 1, 2011

Brady's Arrival

I wrote this post way back on June 26th:
Three days, after Brady's arrival. I went in on Tuesday for my weekly appointment. The doctor informed me that my cervix was completely closed. So, I was bummed out since I had been doing everything possible to help things move along naturally at home. I had walked 4 miles and did 400 (yes, you read that right) deep lunges with my husband the weekend before my appointment. I was taking primrose oil, drinking raspberry tea, and bouncing my heart out on a yoga ball. The only change was that my butt was a bit firmer from the lunges. My midwife measured my fundus (my big ole bump), and it was a lower number than it should have been. So, he did an ultrasound. The result of the ultrasound, let my midwife know that I was low on amniotic fluid. I heard through the nurse grapevine the next day that my placenta wasn't performing up to par; which I didn't know, until after I was already induced. Anyways, he left to give me some privacy and get dressed. Nothing out of the ordinary. When he came back into the room, I thought we were going to discuss an induction date. I had my commissary list in hand to get some groceries after the appointment with my mother. Instead, he said, "Okay, here is what we are going to do. We are going to go upstairs to have your baby." I was taken back a bit. I was not prepared for his response. So, I just let out a nervous laugh and said, "Seriously??!" I walked out to my mom, and just pointed upstairs. I called Victor, thankfully he hadn't left for work yet. He was about to walk out the door.  I told him that he needed to come to the hospital, because I was going to be induced. His response was, "are you serious or are you joking." And he said this several times, since I make that sort of stuff up. I walked upstairs and was put in the delivery room. I decided it was time to update my facebook on my phone. And my phone seriously went to cell phone heaven in front of my eyes! No idea what happened, it just died. Once Victor arrived I was able to be a little bit better distracted. He however, wouldn't stop talking, someone talks a lot when he gets nervous. At 2PM the ball started rolling. They first put the folley bulb inside with pitocin to get things started, and they said the bulb would fall out within four to twelve hours. Twenty-five hours later, I was in miserable pain and the doctors all were talking about how they have never had anyone not lose the bulb by this time, so they took it out. Thank goodness, I was able to shower and eat before they started round two up. During my break I enjoyed a delicious sub from subway and a few episodes of the office. Thanks to instant netflix on the computer. I was nick named the cervix of steel from the doctors. I was only two centimeters at this time. After my little break, they gave me cervadil for twelve hours and cranked up the pitocin like crazy. I was a hot mess, and by three centimeters (and 46 hours of horrible 2 minute apart contractions. A lot of the contractions would be on top of each other. Some were three in a row with about a 10 second rest) a midwife came in and said I needed an epidural now. Music to my freaking ears! Four hours later, I was checked by a resident, and she said I was only 6 centimeters and my station hadn't changed at all. I was bummed out since they were the same numbers as the last check I had. But, when the actual doctor checked her diagnosis, she said "um, no, she is having the baby now." Seven minutes later, I had the little guy. He came out screaming with what I am told a fist in the air. They nurses thought he had a huge birthmark on the left side of his face. Luckily, they were wrong.As soon as they gave Brady to me, he heard my voice and quieted down. I love that he recognized my voice. 

*We were discharged the 26th and I was SO EXHAUSTED. Brady had his AM and PM completely backwards.

Caitlin

 Brady weighing in at 8 lbs 1 oz. 19 1/4 inches :) You can see the red splotch on his face, they thought was a birthmark.
 Bouncing on the bouncy ball, trying to get Brady to drop down into position, during my "break" from the folly bulb to the cervadil.
 Our first moments together. :) He calmed right down, when I spoke to him. My hair is a mess!!! 50 hours of labor will do that to you.
 Wearing his going home outfit! "I'd rather be naked."
 In the car-seat ready to go home. The car seat and Brady have never gotten along.
 Going home with Daddy driving 30 mph below the speed limit. ;)
 Mommy and Daddy on Navarre Beach a few days before Brady's arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment